Commitment to achieving Net Zero
MCT Lifesciences (MCT) is committed to achieving Net Zero emissions by 2050.
We are currently working to develop a complete implementation plan which will allow us to bring this target further forward. All emissions reported and future plans include the entities under MCT’s control.
Baseline emissions footprint
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced before the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
Baseline year: to 30 April 2022
Details relating to the baseline emissions calculations.
MCT began collecting emissions data following our financial year ending 30 April 2022. Following these requirements, we have Scope 1 and 2 emissions for one reporting year and have used the first year as our baseline.
Scope 1 has been reported as 8.82 tCO2e. Scope 3 data has not been collected or reported for these two years as this was not required.
We are gathering Scope 3 emissions data to establish a clear baseline and will include this in our SECR report for the current financial year ending 30 April 2023. We will do base calculations on actual data as much as possible rather than average data methods to ensure a more accurate analysis.
We have used the SECR data for the year ending 30 April 2022 as a baseline for Scope 1 and 2.
Baseline year emissions: 1 May 2021 to 30 April 2022
SCOPE 3 (INCLUDING SOURCES)
Current emissions reporting
Reporting year: to 30 April 2023
Reporting year emissions:
SCOPE 3 (INCLUDING SOURCES)
Business travel: 0.00
Train commuting: 0.05
Scope 3 Total: 0.05
* Categories 6 (business travel) and 7 (train commuting) have been included in our scope 3 calculations.
Emissions reduction targets
We have adopted the following carbon reduction targets to continue our progress toward achieving Net Zero. We will reduce our carbon emissions from Scope 1 and 2 emissions to reach NetZero by 2050 and will put in place interim targets to ensure sufficient progress is made.
While working towards a net zero target, we noticed an increase in our reported carbon emissions of 1.78 tCO2e (a 24% increase) from our base year to the current year. This, however, is not an accurate representation of the impact of our carbon reduction projects and is a result of having been able to capture data for emission sources where gaps had previously been identified. Consequently, with the additional emission sources, we are unable to report progress against our base year on a like-for-like basis.
We are aware that there are still some gaps in our reportable scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions and will be working to fill these gaps over the next 3 months when the data is available.
Once a firm baseline is established, we intend to bring forward our target date for achieving NetZero from 2050. We will put interim emissions reduction targets in place to ensure we are on track to achieve our agreed target date.
Carbon reduction projects
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented since the 2022 baseline. Whilst we understand these projects have led to a reduction in carbon emissions, we cannot quantify the extent as we no longer have a like-for-like scenario. Re-baselining in 2022/23 will enable us to quantify the measures in effect when performing the contract.
Completed carbon reduction initiatives
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented since the start of our baseline year, including:
- We published an Environmental Policy which outlines our commitment to minimising the negative environmental impact of our activities. We also share our commitments through our website.
- Initiated the internal Net Zero project. This included gathering data to inform our baseline scope 1, 2 and 3 carbon emissions and producing a more detailed report on scope 3 emissions produced through MCT’s supply chain.
Planned carbon reduction initiatives
Over the next 12 months, we plan to build on our existing knowledge and understanding by implementing the following projects:
- Identify gaps in scope 1, 2 and 3 reportable carbon emissions. Establish a methodology for capturing missing data sources and recalculate baseline emissions for 2022/23 and 2023/24.
- Develop a route map for achieving net zero to include:
- achievable GHG reduction targets
- measure and report progress
- identification and utilisation of carbon removal schemes (tree planting, etc) after entire reduction strategies have been applied.
- Set organisation-wide carbon emissions reduction targets supported by interim targets.
- Create a decarbonisation plan for all activities to deliver targets.
- Developing an external communications plan that includes creating website content that highlights how MCT's products and services support the delivery of its member's net zero ambitions.
- Our international projects will continue through the use of remote meeting platforms, such as Microsoft Teams, Zoom and Google Meet, in close agreement with our clients without the need to do international flights.
- In the longer term, we will be exploring a range of initiatives, including Science Based Targets and Race to Net Zero which will be public statements about our credentials and commitment to achieving Net Zero.
We will continue to work to understand how to better embed environmental sustainability in procurement processes and contract terms and conditions and ensure that our suppliers can demonstrate their commitment to achieving net zero by 2050.
Declaration and sign off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 government policy and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans. Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and use the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting. Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors (or equivalent management body).
Ahmet Murat Celebi - Director
MCT Lifesciences Ltd